I received an interesting phone call this afternoon. It was the little ones' pediatrician's office. Evidently he will be out of the country for two weeks and we needed to reschedule Erik's two month check up(hard to believe it's that long already). I told her I was fine with him seeing the nurse practitioner as she is a sweetheart. Then out of curiosity(was already pretty sure my guess was right) asked where he was going. He will be on his way to Haiti in a matter of days for two weeks. I, in a way was waiting for this call, just was not sure if it would be for Erik's check up or Harmony's two year check up. Dr. L is amazing with the kids and whenever there is a major disaster where children are injured he always goes for at least a short time.
This call was just a small reminder that they still need help. And that there are those willing pay their own way to volunteer their time to help those in need.
I know that they perhaps are not trained for that kinda situation, but hte first tv footage I saw was a plane load of missionairies getting out of the area... arn't they suppose to help too? am I being naive in thinking that is part of the purpose of a missionary? I suppose it could have been too dangerous there and they were flying somewhere safer... the press have a way of making something apprear totally different...
ReplyDeletemy hat off to your fabulous doctor... I was amazed by the american hospital ship that is out there... how vast is that...
x Alex
You are right about the purpose of a missionary. My thought is they might have been told to evacuate because of how bad things were. And that way they would still be alive and well to continue their work.
ReplyDeleteThe media can be bad about how they portray anyone. I just have not been hearing much here lately. It's almost as if it has disappeared and I know it hasn't.
Wow, that was inspiring to read that your doctor was traveling to Haiti. I listended to a heart wrenching piece today on NPR, and it is still hard to believe the amount of devastation that has occured over there. People like you doctor give me a little bit more faith in humanity, and to be so thankful for all that I have. Thanks for sharing this
ReplyDelete